Evaluation Criteria for Landing Page Optimization
At topseos, the independent authority on search vendors, we have done the research into the best landing page optimization practices. Since launching in 2002, our research and rankings only show vendors that have proven they are the best. Vendors on our list have excelled in five key areas of importance: site analysis, strategy development, implementation, testing, and reporting.
The first aspect evaluated is site analysis. This includes a review of the vendor's ability to recognize current site landing pages as well as evaluations on those pages. Does the vendor take the time to understand the current status of the client site?
Next, we evaluate the landing page strategy development work completed by the vendor. What are the typical landing page strategies of the vendor and how does that compare what others are doing in the industry? Does the vendor understand what pages should be entrance points for the site?
Once we analyze the strategy we then review the actual implementation of the project. Evaluation generally includes checking to see whether a client received what they were told they would receive or if the strategy was changed mid-development. Additionally, we assess the company's ability to implement design, development, and a conversion driven strategy.
When it comes to landing page optimization, a lot is dependent on actual consumer actions. We then evaluate the company's methods of testing different landing page variations. Does the vendor understand when to use a/b testing versus multivariate? How does the vendor use this information to make changes to the strategy that is in place?
The final factor taken into account during the company review is reporting. Do the reports provided by the vendor help to explain testing results and other page analytics? Does the vendor offer next steps solutions for their client?
A few questions that we may ask clients of a landing page optimization firm to gauge their level of expertise are:
- What type of needs analysis was conducted before work initiated?
- What type of a ROI were you anticipating, what was achieved and in what time frame?
- What would be 3 things you would change about your experience?
- What was your total investment?
- Rate your overall experience (1-10; 10 being the highest).
Project Specific Queries:
- Did the vendor take the time to understand the current status of the client site?
- What are the typical landing page strategies of the vendor and how does that compare what others are doing in the industry?
- How does the vendor use this information to make changes to the strategy that is in place?
- Do these reports help to explain testing results and other page analytics?
- Does the vendor offer next steps solutions for the client?