Evaluation Criteria for SEO Software
With so many software tools geared towards the search engine optimization industry, and more being introduced to the community on a regular basis, topseos assigned its research team to review these tools and identify the best seo software programs that are available to the market.
Our research has revealed that many software providers seek to sell automated software via automated channels. In turn, software providers can lose the human touch and become slow in response to software training and support.
Through the use of rigorous evaluation criteria and the guidelines that we have set for software, we put together a list of the top SEO software tools in the industry. Our in-depth analysis delves into a vendor’s business practices and compares them against industry standards to ensure that the product is quality. Often times we connect directly to the clients of the product or test the tool in house to determine the overall quality.
There are five key areas that we focus on when dealing with evaluating and ranking SEO software.
The accuracy of the application is evaluated as well. Does the tool fetch accurate data from the search engines? How quickly does the tool retrieve the data? Does the software provide updates as search engines change and SEO trends evolve? Do software changes require major changes in campaigns or does the software handle adaptation?
Efficiency is measured based on a comparison of the overall feature-set and performance compared to the tool's competition. Does the tool provide useful SEO tools that benefit the company for the cost of the software?
The GUI Interface used in the SEO Software is carefully analyzed. How are different functions categorized? Does the interface reflect the audience that will be using the application? How easy is it for new users to adapt to application or old users to adapt to changes in the technology? Is the GUI interface supported with instructions that help train users to use the features of the software? Are there keyboard shortcuts that allow for the users to cut time using the most frequently used features?
The features of the software are compared to features of competing software. Are there features that provide advantages to the users over the competition? What kind of range of features does the software provide?
Support for the software is measured in multiple ways. Does the software team provide assistance with use of the website? Are patches created to ensure functionality of the software? Is there documentation provided to outline every function of the software?
A few questions that we may ask clients of a link building software developer to gauge their level of expertise are:
- What type of needs analysis was conducted before work initiated?
- What type of a ROI were you anticipating, what was achieved and in what time frame?
- What would be 3 things you would change about your experience?
- What was your total investment?
- Rate your overall experience (1-10; 10 being the highest).
Project Specific Queries:
- Did you find the advice provided by the tool to be helpful or essential to your work?
- What benefits did you receive from the advice provided?
- Was the software easy to use without any prior training or was training or guides required to use the software?
- How fast was the tool able to query search engines?
- Which search engines was the tool capable of pulling information from?